When you become a Christian, you become part of the universal church. The "universal church" is a title given to describe the collective group of all believers of all time. One day, the universal church will all be gathered together around the throne of God. In the meantime, Christians should gather with, and belong to, a local church. This is where church membership comes in. Church membership isn't an exclusive club for elite Christians - far from it! Essentially church membership is means of formalising a believer's commitment to a specific local church (including its leaders) and the leadership of that church committing to providing oversight to that Christian's discipleship.
At Eastgate, membership is open to any adult (the age requirement is a government regulation) who has been part of our church community for at least 6 months. It is our hope that anyone who calls Eastgate their home church, would desire to become a member as an expression of their commitment to the church. To become a member, simply express your interest with any of the Elders.
THE PROCESS OF BECOMING A MEMBER
The process of becoming a member looks something like this.
- A believer expresses an interest to become a member to one of the Elders.
- The Elders explain the process which includes 3 membership classes (details below)
- After the three classes, applicants apply to become members and submit a written copy of their testimony to the Elders.
- The Elders will meet with the candidate to discuss any questions that either party still has.
- As long as there are no concerns, applicants are formally introduced into membership during a Sunday service.
As a member
- You have the affirmation of the leadership in your claim to faith.
- The church leadership commits to providing oversight to your spiritual discipleship
- You participate in our family meetings where we discuss matters regarding our church family.
- You participate in our general business meetings and vote in them.
MEMBERSHIP CLASSESWhat Do They Entail?
Below is a summary of the content covered during the membership classes.
- What is the church?
- What is church membership?
- Is Church Membership Biblical?
- Requirements For Membership
- Responsibilities of the church and its members
- Who is FECA and what is our relationship with them?
- The Values of Eastgate
- The Structure of Eastgate
- The Beliefs of Eastgate
- What is an inter-denominational, evangelical reformed church?
- Guide to preparing your testimony
- How to apply for membership - The remaining steps
You can express interest in becoming a member of Eastgate Bible Church at any time. We hope to run membership classes 1-2 times each year and the video class teaching material can be made available at any time.